Businesses that need to reach consumers and target markets need digital marketers on their teams as they play a vital role. Their vitality stems from their ability to strategize inbound marketing, search engine optimization and conversion rate optimization and shape the experiences of a company’s actual customers. For those interested in the digital marketing career path, it is important to know the difference between junior and senior digital marketers.
The career progression for a junior digital marketer will lead you to a senior position, but what exactly is the difference between these two positions? In this guide, we help job seekers distinguish the difference between junior and senior digital marketers, the salaries of these individual roles and what the job entails. We’ll also discuss how long it takes to become a senior digital marketer.
What is a digital marketer?
A digital marketer engages in social media marketing and strategically creating material that will promote the company’s brand on platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. They understand typical direct and traditional marketing methods and use inbound marketing to maintain long-term relationships with customers and outbound marketing to grab their attention.
Digital marketers are adept at understanding search engine optimization best practices and data-driven marketing where companies use aggregated data to build customer profiles and tailor their digital marketing campaign to who is most likely to buy.
Junior vs. Senior Digital Marketer: Areas of Responsibility
There are several key differences between junior digital marketers and senior digital marketers, but there are some crucial similarities that are fundamental to their success. Both are required to know the ins and outs of content marketing, analytics tools, conversion rates, and digital marketing. For a more in-depth look at the differences in their responsibilities, the lists below reflect their job descriptions.
Job description Junior Digital Marketer
- analyze. Junior digital marketers use Google Analytics and spreadsheets to analyze website traffic. They then present their findings and offer on-page optimization recommendations to the rest of the marketing team.
- Community management. Junior digital marketers manage and create content for the company’s social media platforms. They answer questions from potential customers and use customer relationship management to oversee customer relationships.
- Email advertising. Helping junior digital marketers with email marketing campaigns and deciding what to write and how to reach more customers. Digital marketing strategies should be used during these email campaigns.
- Management of marketing campaigns. Junior digital marketers provide insights into the campaign lifecycle and help create new marketing techniques. They also research marketing trends and help the company build its brand to achieve its marketing goals.
- Writing content. Junior digital marketers write content for the company’s various digital channels. These channels may include the company’s own website through blog content and their social media channels, taking potential customers into account.
Job description Senior Digital Marketer
- Digital marketing strategy. Senior digital marketers develop strategies that help the business understand economic indicators, monitor changes in supply and demand, identify customers and anticipate their needs. They also keep an eye out for any competition.
- content strategy. Senior digital marketers approve content distributed across digital channels and digital marketing campaigns. They oversee the marketing team and decide what content circulates, including blog posts, emails, websites and social media.
- Marketing leader. Senior digital marketers lead sub-teams within the department, the marketing coordinator and junior marketer to ensure productivity and efficiency to get the job done right and meet their deadlines.
- customer experience. Senior digital marketers schedule team meetings and use analytics tools to monitor customer experience across channels. Based on the collected data, they create strategies to achieve higher conversion rates.
- Social media marketing. Senior digital marketing, experts in the field, building, designing and maintaining a social media presence. In other words, they are social media managers. They direct the team to implement techniques for social media campaigns.
Junior vs Senior Digital Marketer Salaries
Since junior and senior positions in digital marketing have different responsibilities, this means that their salary ranges also differ. Senior managers have more experience and responsibility, meaning they receive a higher salary than junior digital marketing positions. Below is a breakdown of the salaries for each of these roles.
Salary Junior Digital Marketer
The average salary of a junior digital marketer is $69,098 per year while the base salary for this position is $57,047 per year. The annual salary of a junior digital marketer compensates for all the duties that the job entails. This includes the challenging feat of executing digital and social media campaigns while following current social media trends, acting as a source of content and strategy to ensure campaign success.
Salary Senior Digital Marketer
The average salary of a senior digital marketer is $81,260 per year. The salary of a senior digital marketer summarizes the responsibilities of the position. Senior digital marketers shed light on the trajectory of the company’s goals and vision as they lead the team to achieve their goal. They meet with the management team for updates on new strategies.
How Long Does It Take to Become a Junior Digital Marketer?
How long it takes to become a junior digital marketer depends on your experience, education and the company you work for. Some companies have a more extensive promotion or hiring process and are accurate with the qualifications required for the job. In this case, you will usually be promoted within one or two years, provided you have the appropriate qualifications.
How long does it take to become a senior digital marketer?
How long it takes to become a senior digital marketer also depends on your level of experience and expertise within the field, and typically requires you to have worked as a junior digital marketer for some time. It can take three to five years to become a senior digital marketer with a keen understanding of the company’s mission and brand culture.
Career Path and Progress from Junior to Senior Digital Marketer
1. Show leadership skills
To become a senior digital marketer, you need to demonstrate leadership and take responsibility. Positively influencing others, demonstrating professionalism, and taking responsibility for your duties when things get challenging are all ways to become a senior digital marketer. You also need to take initiative, be considerate of your team members and encourage your colleagues to meet their deadlines.
2. Improve your technical skills
Gaining more knowledge and skills are excellent ways to demonstrate your ability and willingness to grow and learn, whether you are in a junior or senior role. Stand out by enrolling in a digital marketing bootcamp. You can also participate in a social media marketing bootcamp, in which you gain the knowledge and skills to market well on social media.
3. Complete your tasks on time
To succeed in this career path, it is essential to show your employer that you are a reliable and valuable employee. Meeting your deadlines and making sure your work is done right is the best way to prove your trustworthiness and demonstrate that you spend your time wisely during working hours. Your superiors will see your efforts and may choose to promote you.
4. Go the extra mile
In addition to completing your tasks on time, employers like you to go the extra mile to make sure your job is done right. Whether it’s making recommendations for the next campaign or discussing strategies with your team, employers want their employees to do their best.
5. Get a graduate degree
Earning a graduate degree in marketing is another way to prove to your employers that you have the right qualifications for a promotion. A master’s degree will teach you key theoretical concepts that can be used to solve marketing problems, while giving you the opportunity to learn from the digital marketing experiences of others.
Should you become a digital marketer?
Yes, you have to become a digital marketer, because there are plenty of growth opportunities. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for digital marketing shows a growth of 10 percent between 2020 and 2030.
Aside from high demand, the job shows great internal career progression such as in promotion opportunities. Become a digital marketer in 2022 if helping companies with their branding and online presence are things that interest you.
Junior vs Senior Digital Marketers Salaries FAQ
Yes, digital marketers are generally well paid. The median full-time annual salary for employees in the US is $71,465. This means that the salary of a digital marketer is often lower than the national average.
The median salary of a digital marketer is $61,646 per year. Part of their job is to help manage social media platforms and run digital campaigns. They help the team get informational content that grabs the attention of customers.
The highest paying job in marketing is the marketing manager. The average annual salary of a marketing manager is $99,469 per year. A marketing manager plans digital strategy and content marketing, oversees marketing analytics and digital marketing budgets, and even conducts interviews.
First, you need to understand the company’s policy regarding salary increases. You can ask for a higher salary if you have enough experience and the right skill level. Enroll in a boot camp or graduate degree program to improve your skills and build credibility.
The post Junior vs. Senior Digital Marketers: Salaries, Responsibilities, and Career Paths appeared first on ailCFH.