If you are looking for work in a new field that is environmentally oriented, there are many lucrative industries that take a more green approach to business practices.
You don’t have to be an environmental specialist or scientist to find a job helping the environment!
From the oil and gas industry to technology and business administration, there are many available functions that support companies in promoting environmental practices and reducing their carbon footprint.
If you’re interested in helping the environment in unexpected jobs, here are a few you should check out:
oil and gas
There are ways to work in the oilfield industry and help the environment at the same time! Environmental care is at the forefront of technology development, with more and more companies focusing on environmental protection while conducting their business.
Because of this, there is a high demand for environmental jobs in the oil and gas industry, such as:
- Environmental Manager: An environmental manager is responsible for ensuring that a company complies with local and federal regulations.
- Hazmat Technician: Companies recognize the need to dispose of hazardous materials in an environmentally sound manner. Hazmat technicians are responsible for cleaning and sanitizing materials after spills and accidents.
- Environmental Scientist: Environmental scientists are conducting studies of potential pipeline and resource locations to ensure the area is suitable for the planned project and how the project will affect local plants and wildlife.
Yes, there is such a thing as environmental lawyers! These lawyers help companies, individuals, organizations and the government to solve environmental issues.
For example, they can handle legal situations related to air and water quality, sustainability strategies, hazardous waste, waste management and alternative energy sources.
Environmental lawyers argue for balanced regulations in the field of environmental rights and international environmental law.
There is also room in the field of technology to be more environmentally conscious. Becoming sustainable requires efficient communication and information technologies.
Check out Canada’s top eco-friendly employers and you’ll find many are involved in the IT industry!
IT specialists can help the environment through the following features:
- Computer Software Engineering: These individuals use programming languages to create software that can be used to reduce costs, waste, and help companies meet environmental standards.
- Sustainability data analyst: A sustainability data analyst helps companies track their green goals by considering all information and helping companies make environmentally sound decisions.
- Environmentally Friendly IT: Green IT focuses on using information technology to minimize damage to the environment.
- Web design: You can help sustainable companies by offering services as a web designer.
If you work for the government, there are many opportunities to help the environment. Some of the most in-demand positions include arbitrators and mediators who help resolve sustainability-related conflicts.
You can also participate in energy audits, where you ensure that buildings and systems comply with energy regulations.
Urban and regional planning is also considered a green job as you can promote environmental sustainability while developing land use plans and programs.
Business and Administration
Every organization, whether environmentally oriented or not, needs governing bodies. Here are some green features you can find within the business and administration industry:
- Sustainability specialists deal with issues such as waste management and green policy.
- Environmental managers ensure that organizations comply with environmental regulations.
- Building inspectors ensure that construction projects comply with environmental regulations, building codes and contract specifications.
Create your own green job!
The above are just a few examples of unexpected areas of work that help the environment. If nothing piques your interest and you want to pursue your own passions, you can always create your own green job!
Start with an idea and some goals before choosing the industry you want to be involved in. Are you interested in agriculture? Course? The public sector?
Then think about how you want to create your job. Want to join a non-profit group or create your own? Do you want to get started as a freelancer and start your own company?
There’s a lot to consider when it comes to starting your own business and creating a green job for yourself, but it’s not impossible!
Finding a green career to help the environment
Are you ready to save the planet but don’t know where to start?
You can start by searching for eco-friendly jobs on popular job boards such as Indeed and Monster.
You can also create a LinkedIn profile and network with other professionals in the field you are interested in.
Wherever you end up, there are always ways you can contribute to a greener way of working. Apply to eco-friendly companies or change your own habits to create a more sustainable world.